What You Should Know
- To adopt a tortoise from Tortoise Group, you must live in southern Nevada.
- Tortoises for adoption are not wild but legally acquired, former pets.
- Only one tortoise, an adult male, is allowed in each household.
- We adopt to the adults who live where the tortoise will live.
- Tortoises of all sizes must live outside. A fenced back yard of about 1000 square feet is needed. For example an area equal to 20 x 50 feet. We no longer adopt to homes with unfenced ponds or pools.
- Attention Teachers: proper conditions for tortoises are not available in the classroom but we do adopt to schools with secure yards.
- The fee for adoption is $75.
What You Will Need To Do
- Make your yard safe and escape proof. To learn about this and other preparations, click Desert Tortoises: Adoption and Care, or pick up a free copy of our booklet from any veterinarian’s office in the Las Vegas area or public library in Clark County or Pahrump.
- Have or create a dry area (no irrigation) that is at least 15′ x 15′ where you will dig or build a burrow. You may need to change your irrigation pattern to create the dry area.
- Provide growing food: a patch of grass, dandelions (if possible), and several of the ornamentals and native plants we suggest.
- Feed the tortoise Tortoise Food tortoise chow, available from Tortoise Group.
Before you start any preparations, call Tortoise Group, (702) 739-7113. We will come to your yard and make sure that you get started in the right way.