Why did my tortoise come out in the rain? Is it okay?
Your tortoise has a natural instinct to get a drink whenever it rains. For a wild tortoise, it might be the only chance all year. So, summer or winter, your tortoise may appear. Mine came out of deep hibernation for a drink last January! No need to worry. Allow your tortoise to walk around or drink. You may want to watch to be sure it returns to the burrow.
Watch for burrow flooding
- In rainy weather, burrow flooding is always possible.
- The best precaution is covering the burrow with a tarp.
- Check that water isn’t flowing into the burrow.
- Use a flashlight to check for water inside the burrow.
- What if the burrow is flooded? DIG IT UP!!!
- Bring the tortoise inside
- Follow the directions for indoor brumation.