Tortoise Group has been educating and advocating for the protection and well-being of the desert tortoise since 1982.
Tortoise Group is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
What Tortoise Group offers:
- Legal adoption of desert tortoises in Nevada
- Consultation visits to homes and schools, including suggestions for providing suitable backyard tortoise habitats
- Printed and online material on the care of pet tortoises and related topics
- Monthly programs March through October with guest speakers
- Speakers for school classes, adult and youth groups
- Personalized answers to inquiries about pet and wild desert tortoises
- Snooper service to look inside burrows in case of floods or non-emergence
- Online sales of quality tortoise food
Personalized Answers to your Inquiries
Call or e-mail to ask your questions about desert tortoises. Speak directly to a Tortoise Group representative. No question is too small. Contact us through facebook, email, or call the hotline.
Tortoise Group Staff
Sarah Mortimer, Desert Tortoise Adoption Coordinator
Sarah Mortimer joined Tortoise Group in September 2015 and serves as the Adoption Coordinator. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in biology with an emphasis in zoology from Northern Arizona University. Sarah has always had a love for animals and an interest in nature. She studied locomotion and limb morphology in mice for her undergraduate research project. She is very excited to work with desert tortoises adopting them to wonderful new custodians. Her passion for animals makes it simple for her to be enthusiastic about educating the public about desert tortoises! In her free time, Sarah loves being outdoors hiking, camping, and rock hounding with her pup, Gladys.