Limited to residents of Nevada
Under the authority of the US Fish and Wildlife Service and Nevada Department of Wildlife, Tortoise Group has performed adoptions of the threatened Mojave desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii) in Nevada for many years. The program ensures that the conditions for a tortoise are safe and offer a healthy environment. The new programs are limited to pet desert tortoises in Nevada.
Important points to know about pet tortoises
- A tortoise must live outdoors.
- A tortoise must have a well-insulated burrow.
- A tortoise must be fed a healthy diet.
- A breeding pair of tortoises must be separated.
Things you should know if you want to become a tortoise custodian
- Custodians must be adults and residents of Nevada.
- Caring for a tortoise is a long-term commitment; they can live to be 80-100 years old!
- For NEW adoptions, each household is limited to one adult tortoise.
- All pet desert tortoises in Nevada must be adopted through Tortoise Group’s approved federally approved adoption program.
A tortoise is legally held in captivity if:
- The tortoise was acquired before August 4, 1989. Their progeny are also held legally.
- The tortoise was adopted officially through the Tortoise Group Adoption Program approved by the US Fish and Wildlife Service.
Tortoise Group will help you become the custodian of a desert tortoise by advising you in creating a healthy tortoise habitat and providing a tortoise in need of a home.
Each household adopting a tortoise for the first time is limited to one adult tortoise.
There is a adoption fee of $75 for new custodians (An initial site visit charge of $20 for nonmembers and $10 for members will be deducted from the $75 charge).
Register to Legallly Adopt a Desert Tortoise you already have
By using our new streamlined online system, you can register the tortoise and be the legal custodian of that tortoise. If you would like Tortoise Group to advise you on preparing or improving your habitat, there is a consulting fee of $10 for members and $20 for nonmembers.
To begin a Traditional Adoption please fill out an adoption application.